[wpdm_package id=4424 template=”5a3caadf84efa”]
TSX HEADLINES – for May 21, 2018: The chief of the Bureau of Street Lighting for the City of Los Angeles is already planning for the 2028 Olympic Games.
Some of the concepts under consideration include changing some of the City’s 220,000 light poles to accommodate message boards and electric-vehicle and mobile phone charging stations, powered by solar panels.
Why aren’t these things being planned for the City’s residents, who could use all of these things now and not in ten years!
The LA28 organizers didn’t ask for these changes, they aren’t in anyone’s budget and the success of the 2028 Games is not predicated on their completion. So why is Norma Isahakian and her department even thinking about this?
It’s a long way to 2028, but these kinds of bureaucratic adventures spark others and can lead to the kind of waste that Los Angeles is being counted on to root out of the Olympic planning process.
A look at the details and dangers in our Lane One commentary, plus a lot going on as summer is approaching in international sports:
(1) THE BIG PICTURE: A major hearing on athletes and sexual abuse, starring some of the leaders of the U.S. Olympic community, comes on Wednesday morning in the U.S. House of Representatives.
(2) ATHLETICS: Some fun running at the adidas Boost Boston Games, but a shocking, world-leading hammer throw from DeAnna Price of the U.S. in Jamaica … which would have a silver medal at last year’s World Championships! This in an event in which the U.S. women have never won an Olympic or Worlds medal!
(3) CYCLING: Brilliant riding by Colombians Egan Bernal and Fernando Gaviria in the Amgen Tour of California led to five wins in seven stages and makes both ones to watch in July’s Tour de France.
(4) FENCING: A bronze medal for Race Imboden in the men’s Foil Grand Prix vaults him to no. 1 again in the FIE World Rankings, with fellow American Alexander Massialas now no. 2!
(5) SWIMMING: Four wins and a world record for Katie Ledecky at the Tyr Pro Swim Series in Indianapolis, while three others won three events at the meet, plus a co-world leader in the women’s breaststroke.
This issue includes SCOREBOARD reports on Athletics ~ Beach Volleyball _ Canoe-Kayak ~ Cycling ~ Diving ~ Fencing ~ Ice Hockey ~ Swimming ~ Wrestling, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!
[wpdm_package id=4424 template=”link-template-button-popup.php”]