TSX HEADLINES – for August 10, 2018: There was a time when, sadly, American athletes were at the forefront of doping in Olympic sports. But things have changed.
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency just released the results of an 83-question survey from 2017, in which nearly 900 U.S. athletes who are part of the USADA drug-testing pool gave their opinions on testing procedures, supplements, penalties and how it feels to fail.
The results are fascinating and line up to some extent with the World Anti-Doping Agency’s recent report on testing results for 2017. It’s a unique snapshot of the anti-doping effort and a turn in the culture of Olympic-sport athletes.
Get the details in our Lane One commentary, plus the end of the European Championships in swimming and the start of the Pan-Pacific Championships in Tokyo:
(1) THE BIG PICTURE: A triple-Olympic medalist in cycling thinks Russia will be banned or restricted from competing in 2020 and now wants to compete for Uzbekistan … two weeks from now!
(2) EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS: Marvelous European Swimming Champs have concluded with two world records, 12 new world-leading marks and three athletes who won four gold medals each; we have the details!
(3) EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS: If you think Norway’s 400 m Hurdles World Champion Karsten Warholm was discouraged by losing his first five Diamond League races this season, check out what he did in Berlin!
(4) SOFTBALL: The defending champion U.S. women’s team and host Japan both finished group play undefeated and are on a collision course in the World Softball Championships playoffs!
(5) SWIMMING: Big opening day for the U.S. in the Pan-Pacific Championships in Tokyo with five wins in nine events, 11 medals in all and a world-leading 400 m Medley from Chase Kalisz!
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Cycling ~ Judo ~ Taekwondo, SCOREBOARD reports on the European Championships (Swimming, Athletics and Cycling) ~ Cycling ~ Softball ~ Swimming, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!
What you need to know about the worldwide carousel of sports is in The Sports Examiner, your all-in-one briefing on Olympic sport! Click below for our new issue: