TSX HEADLINES – for June 20, 2018: Screaming headlines declared that the Paris 2024 organizers are aiming to impact France in a huge way, leading the drive for zero poverty, zero unemployment and zero emissions.
In truth, these are goals, but the Paris 2024 project may be getting off to a rockier start than advertised. Over the past few days, venues have been changed to save money and the organizing committee just volunteered to pick up another $47 million in venue construction costs, to keep from asking for more money from the French government.
Long-time observers have seen this movie before, and the last one like this did not end well.
Get the details of what is being promised, what it really means and what Olympic history tells us about promising too much in advance. It’s in our Lane One commentary, plus a massive preview of the USA Track & Field National Championships that start on Thursday:
(1) THE BIG PICTURE: South Africa’s middle-distance superstar Caster Semenya filed suit against the IAAF to stop implementation of its testosterone-control rules for women;
(2) WORLD CUP: The first round of games has been completed and the big winner is … Europe. Find out just how dominant the Old Continent was, and how pathetic the rest of the confederations were …
(3) ATHLETICS: The USATF National Championships come this week in Des Moines, Iowa, with lots of new faces to take the place of veterans taking the year off. More than 10 pages in our full preview of every event of note, including Noah Lyles vs. Michael Norman in the men’s 200 m and DeAnna Price vs. Gwen Berry in the women’s hammer!
(4) CYCLING: USA Cycling road nationals are on in Knoxville, with women’s stars Megan Guarnier, Coryn Rivera and Amber Neben ready to go!
(5) FENCING: American fencers sweep first four team titles at the Pan American Championships in Havana, and have now won nine of 10 events!
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Archery ~ Athletics ~ Beach Volleyball ~ Cycling ~ Volleyball; SCOREBOARD reports on Football ~ Fencing ~ Water Polo, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!