[wpdm_package id=4482 template=”5a3caadf84efa”]
TSX HEADLINES – for June 4, 2018: Evaluation reports of bids for major events like the Olympic Games and the FIFA World Cup are usually couched in dry, technical language and are often excellent as cures for insomnia or as doorstops.
The report on the two bids for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, between Morocco and the three-nation United 2026 bid from Canada, Mexico and the U.S. is a welcome change. Consider this warning about the Morocco project:
“The amount of new infrastructure required for the Morocco 2026 bid to become reality cannot be overstated. … the Bid Evaluation Task Force consider it its duty to emphasise the significant overall risk …”
Clear enough? There are shortcomings in this report, but it sounds a clear call on the enormous uncertainty of the Morocco bid and the near-certainty of the United 2026 bid.
Does this mean the United bid will win? Hardly, but then nothing in an open vote – which for the first time, will be disclosed – scheduled for 13 June in Moscow, is certain.
We have the details in our Lane One commentary, plus reports on the major international events in more than a dozen sports:
(1) THE TICKER: Exploratory Commission in Colorado recommends Denver try for the 2030 Olympic Winter Games, with a statewide referendum in 2020! Plus two bidders are already planning for a bid for 2032!
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: A U.S. Senate sub-committee will hear testimony on Tuesday from the former head of USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University on how the Larry Nassar problem could have happened, and why it wasn’t stopped. This is not going to be pleasant.
(3) ATHLETICS: Hot performances at the Fanny Blankers Koen Games in the Netherlands, with world leads for American Jenny Simpson in the mile and Russia’s Mariya Lasitskene in the high jump.
(4) RUGBY: Fiji getting ready to win the 2018 HSBC Sevens Series after winning the ninth leg in London, and the U.S.could be headed for its best finish ever!
(5) WATER POLO: The United States women’s national team won its fifth straight FINA World League Super Final title with an undefeated run through the tournament and a win over the Netherlands in the championship game!
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Sailing ~ Volleyball, and SCOREBOARD reports on Athletics ~ Cycling ~ Fencing ~ Football ~ Gymnastics ~ Rowing ~ Rugby ~ Sport Climbing ~ Swimming ~ Table Tennis ~ Taekwondo ~ Volleyball ~Water Polo, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!
[wpdm_package id=4482 template=”link-template-button-popup.php”]