TSX HEADLINES – for May 14, 2018: The Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang had their problems right from the start. Some were easy to appreciate; others were below the surface.
Once the event got underway, it appeared exciting and inviting on television, but there was tension on the ground. Some of that was in the doping-control stations, where inexperienced staff mixed with equally-inexperienced athletes, coaches and team officials for some unpleasant confrontations.
Add to that a general unease among veteran, well-informed competitors who remain unsure whether the doping-control system can ever work properly after the Russians made a mockery of the process in Sochi.
The details came out in the World Anti-Doping Agency’s 51-page report by its Independent Observer team, released last week. We review the key aspects and the most important reform needed for the future in our Lane One commentary, plus reports on the major events on this past weekend:
(1) THE TICKER: The gymnastics scandals in sexual abuse are not confined to the U.S.: the latest allegations are from Brazil. Plus, Serbia refuses to allow Kosovan athletes to compete in the European Karate Championships and the International Olympic Committee is looking into it.
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: A Brazilian newspaper provides fresh details on what former IAAF chief Lamine Diack’s alleged bribery scheme bought for the Rio de Janeiro bid back in 2009!
(3) ATHLETICS: Big win for Olympic champ Brianna Rollins-McNeal over world-record holder Kendra Harrison in the Shanghai Diamond League 100 m hurdles, plus eight new world-leading marks at the meet!
(4) FENCING: All the way back from maternity is American double Olympic Sabre gold medalist Mariel Zagunis, winning a Grand Prix bronze medal in Moscow!
(5) ICE HOCKEY: The U.S. men are undefeated and on their way to the playoffs in the IIHF World Championships in Denmark. It all started with a pulse-pounding, shoot-out win over Canada!
This issue includes SCOREBOARD reports on Athletics ~ Badminton ~ Cycling ~ Fencing ~ Gymnastics ~ Ice Hockey ~ Rugby ~ Shooting ~ Sport Climbing ~ Swimming ~ Triathlon, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!