[wpdm_package id=4596 template=”5a3caadf84efa”]
TSX HEADLINES – for July 6, 2018: The United States is the only country in the world that doesn’t support its Olympic sports program with government funding.
So how is it possible that the U.S. dominates the medal count at Games after Games? Start with the country’s high school sports programs.
Almost eight million U.S. high school students are involved in interscholastic sports, more than 52% of all high schoolers in the country. That’s where U.S. success starts, and that doesn’t even count the thousands of sports clubs and leagues outside of the school system.
We have a detailed look at the top sports played by boys and girls in our Lane One commentary, plus previews of a busy weekend in sports and this week’s action from around the world:
(1) THE TICKER: All three Italian candidates file their proposals to host the Winter Games in 2026, but the Italians must pick one next week. Plus, if all of the 2026 candidates flame out, could Barcelona be a back-up choice?
(2) WORLD CUP: The FIFA World Cup quarterfinals are Friday and Saturday and the oddmakers still like their first choice from almost three weeks ago: Brazil. Check out the stats and historical precedents for yourself and make your own choice!
(3) ATHLETICS: Sensational performances by Americans Noah Lyles and Shelby Houlihan at the IAAF Diamond League Athletissima in Lausanne, plus a 5,000 m decided when the leader pulls down his principal rival by the shorts!
(4) ATHLETICS: The amazing Bernard Lagat wins the U.S. 10 km Nationals at the Peachtree Road Race for his 15th American title … at age 43!
(5) BASKETBALL: The U.S. men’s U-17 squad has romped through its first four games by an average score of 102-50. Now, they’re in the FIBA U-17 World quarterfinals!
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Cycling ~ Gymnastics ~ Sport Climbing ~ Volleyball; SCOREBOARD reports on Football, Athletics, Basketball, Golf and Volleyball, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!
[wpdm_package id=4596 template=”link-template-button-popup.php”]