[wpdm_package id=4359 template=”5a3caadf84efa”]
TSX HEADLINES – for May 2, 2018: The international aquatics federation called a special conference to consider what to do about water polo.
Simply put, the sport is under threat of being pulled from the Olympic program because it’s essentially a European sport with competition from Australia and the U.S.
What should be done? How can water polo stay relevant? These are questions that go beyond water polo to all Olympic sports, and there were depressing suggestions, but also some truth spoken that identified the key question for any sport: why should anyone care?
The key comments and observations are collected in our Lane One commentary, plus:
(1) THE TICKER: Remembering the day the 1940 Olympic Games were canceled, and retirements by Olympic medalists Dawn Harper Nelson (track & field) and Andrew Weibrecht (skiing).
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: Stunner: USA Track & Field removed the 2020 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials from Mt. San Antonio College and will re-allocate the meet in June. A lawsuit that was Mt. SAC was on the way to winning was given as the reason. Really?
(3) ATHLETICS: The 2018 Diamond League starts in Doha on Friday with a terrific showdown between American hurdlers Kendra Harrison and Brianna Rollins-McNeal!
(4) BEACH VOLLEYBALL: The sport comes back to its beginnings, with the Huntington Beach Open, and Phil Dalhausser and Nick Lucena are to-seeded!
(5) CYCLING: There are three really important races in cycling each year and one of them – the Giro d’Italia – starts Friday, but in Israel of all places, with the first stage in Jerusalem! We have a detailed preview.
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Athletics ~ Badminton ~ Beach Volleyball ~ Cycling ~ Modern Pentathlon ~ Table Tennis; SCOREBOARD reports on Cycling ~ Gymnastics ~ Swimming, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!
[wpdm_package id=4359 template=”link-template-button-popup.php”]