TSX HEADLINES – for Apr. 27, 2018: The Association of Summer Olympic International Federations governance study said 21 of the 28 IFs had publicly-available financial information, so we checked it out for ourselves.
In our second of two parts, we actually found financial data – if not statements – for 23 of the 28 and we profile the last 14 today.
What did we learn? First, that one of the biggest sports in the Olympic Games – gymnastics – compiles these statements, but does not make them public. They did have a loss in 2017, however.
And that many of these federations are really small business. Out chart of last-reported revenues for the 23 we did find information for showed that six had less than $10 million in revenues and another eight had less than $25 million. FIFA, on the other hand, had $734.2 million …
All the details and the comparative revenue table is in our Lane One commentary, plus:
(1) THE TICKER: The IAAF issued its long-awaited regulations on hyperandrogenism, which could have a significant effect on South Africa’s double Olympic 800 m champion Caster Semenya, among others. Plus what would have been the 100th birthday of Dutch track star Fanny Blankers-Koen, the quadruple gold medalist of the 1948 London Games.
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: The International Olympic Committee encouraged the Tokyo 2020 organizers to be more forthright and to tell people what was being planned … even if not completely worked out …
(3) ATHLETICS: Fabulous match-ups at the Drake Relays: Ryan Crouser vs. Tomas Walsh in the men’s shot, Kendra Harrison vs. everyone in the women’s 100 m hurdles and the return of Canadian sprint star Andre De Grasse.
(4) WRESTLING: The U.S. Open is on in Las Vegas, the first step toward selecting the U.S. team for the 2018 World Championships, with Olympic champ Jake Varner and three-time World gold medalist Adeline Gray ready to go!
(5) FOOTBALL: Civil unrest in Nicaragua ended up cancelling the CONCACAF women’s U-17 Championship in Managua!
This issue includes ON DECK reports on Athletics ~ Badminton ~ Gymnastics ~ Swimming ~ Triathlon ~ Wrestling; SCOREBOARD reports on Curling ~ Cycling ~ Football ~ Ice Hockey ~ Shooting, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!