[wpdm_package id=4352 template=”5a3caadf84efa”]
TSX HEADLINES – for Apr. 30, 2018: The World Anti-Doping Agency published its report on doping violations for 2016, and there were more than a few. Try 1,595 across 112 sports.
Even so, the number of actual doping positives was still less than 1% of the samples processed. And for the Olympic sports – summer and winter – the percentage is even lower.
So, what’s the big deal and, which sports and countries are the biggest offenders?
The news is bad for track & field, good for weightlifting, bad for Italy and at least one sports in the U.S. and looking better (maybe) for Russia.
But more changes are coming and we have some ideas on what needs to be done next in our Lane One commentary, plus:
(1) THE TICKER: The BBC is now championing a new sport for the Olympic Games, on target to be added to the program for Los Angeles 2028: cheerleading. They’re serious, but there is a clear reason why.
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: A massive conference on the future of water polo was held in Hungary over the weekend, with some startling comments from IOC Deputy Director General Pere Miro, who was himself – some years ago – a Spanish water polo player.
(3) ATHLETICS: A compelling edition of the Drake Relays in Des Moines, with Jenny Simpson targeting – and getting – a new American Record in the two mile, plus a big win for American shot putter Ryan Crouser over his New Zealand rival, Tom Walsh!
(4) SHOOTING: Two big wins, and world-record performances, from American Olympic champions Kim Rhode and Vincent Hancock at the ISSF World Cup in Changwon, Korea.
(5) WRESTLING: The U.S. Open has been completed in Las Vegas, with outstanding performances from former World Champion Adeline Gray and six wrestlers who defended their 2017 titles.
This issue includes SCOREBOARD reports on Archery ~ Athletics ~ Badminton ~ Curling ~ Cycling ~ Diving ~ Fencing ~ Gymnastics ~ Ice Hockey ~ Rugby ~ Sailing ~ Shooting ~ Swimming ~ Triathlon ~ Wrestling, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!
[wpdm_package id=4352 template=”link-template-button-popup.php”]