TSX HEADLINES – for May 16, 2018: Your beautiful new, flat-screen television is about to become useless for watching Olympic sports.
The move to online streaming is picking up steam. NBC is in on it in cycling, track & field and other sports and the exploding FloSports network now has two dozen sports on offer for a single subscription price.
That’s the key: subscription price.
But before you junk your television, there’s a way to adapt it for streaming well beyond the limited Web browser that even today’s “smart TVs” come with.
We have the details and a link to the equipment you need in our Lane One commentary, plus reports on the major events on this past weekend:
(1) THE TICKER: A great weekend of track & field produced a series of sensational marks at the Pac-12 and SEC Championships, including five world leaders, another World Junior Record for Sydney McLaughlin and more new American stars to watch for in the coming weeks!
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: The U.S. Supreme Court’s gambling decision is not likely to impact the Olympic Games in Los Angeles in 2028 much at all. After all, didn’t London 2012 get through its Games without too much trouble?
(3) FENCING: U.S. men’s Foil fencers are looking for a third straight FIE Grand Prix win in Shanghai and Eli Dershwitz is gunning for another World Cup Sabre medal in Madrid!
(4) SWIMMING: With the college season over, superstars like Katie Ledecky, Simone Manuel and Lilly King are back for this week’s Tyr Pro Swim Series in Indianapolis. But could a new star steal the show? Perhaps Ella Eastin?
(5) ICE HOCKEY: Group play is over at the IIHF World Championships and the U.S. is in the playoffs; we have the full schedule.
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Beach Volleyball ~ Cycling ~ Diving ~ Fencing ~ Swimming ~ Volleyball; SCOREBOARD reports on Cycling ~ Ice Hockey, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!Want to stay informed on the worldwide carousel of sports? There’s only one way to follow all 41 sports on the Olympic program: read The Sports Examiner! Join the fun today and get more than 150 issues a year delivered directly to your e-mail inbox: Click here to subscribe!