With just over a month to go before the World Aquatics Championships in Korea, the FINA Marathon World Series has two more events before taking a break:
● 08 June in Setubal (POR)
● 15 June in Balatonfured (HUN)
This week’s 10 km race in Portugal – no. 3 in the seasonal series – will be held in the Albarquel Urban Park in Setubal on a 2,000 m course, with an interior finishing straight of 820 m.
Because of the close proximity of the Worlds, the entry lists are short; the top swimmers to look for include:
● Andreas Waschburger (GER) ~ Eighth at the 2012 Olympic 10 km race
● Ana Marcela Cunha (BRA) ~ Three-time 25 km World Champion; 2013 10 km silver
● Rachele Bruni (ITA) ~ 2016 Olympic silver; 2016 European 10 km Champion
● Arianna Bridi (ITA) ~ 2017 Worlds 10 km and 25 km bronze medalist
Cunha won the World Series opener this season in Doha; Bridi out-touched Cunha in the race at the Seychelles.
Prize money is available to the top eight places: $3,500-3,000-2,500-1,700-1,500-1,200-950-650. Look for results here.