Following up on the men’s Laser Standard Worlds in Japan earlier in the month, a mammoth field of 111 entries from 49 nations is getting ready for the women’s World Championship in Laser Radial.
There are two races planned each day on 19-20-21-22-23-24, but the weather will determine how many races are actually sailed.
The field is excellent, with eight Olympic or World Championships medalists:
● Emma Plasschaert (BEL) ~ 2018 World Champion
● Marit Bouwmeester (NED) ~ 2011-14-17 World Champ; 2016 Olympic gold; 2012 silver
● Anne-Marie Rindom (DEN) ~ 2015 World Champion; 2016-18 Worlds bronze
● Manami Doi (JPN) ~ 2017 Worlds bronze medalist
● Paige Railey (USA) ~ 2015 World Champion; 2016 Worlds silver medalist
● Alison Young (GBR) ~ 2016 World Champion
● Josefin Olsson (SWE) ~ 2014 Worlds silver medalist
● Tuula Tenkanen (FIN) ~ 2013 Worlds silver medalist
Bouwmeester has been the one to beat of late, winning medals in for of the last five Worlds. American Railey, now 32, has been quiet since 2016, but has a career total of five Worlds medals, including the 2009 world title. Look for results here.