TSX HEADLINES – for Apr. 6, 2018: Do we really another sports talk show?
Yes, if it’s about Olympic sports.
So-called “ancillary” programming like ESPN’s “NFL Live” and the MLB Network’s “Intentional Talk” helps to bring in new fans and reinforces the appeal of these leagues and sports to the current fan.
During the PyeongChang Winter Games, NBC’s Olympic Channel carried a very well done half-hour program called “Winter Games Daily” with expert panels, features, and commentary by host Jimmy Roberts. We need a lot more of that!
We get into the details in our Lane One commentary, plus:
(1) THE TICKER: Sprint superstars Justin Gatlin and Christian Coleman want to lower the American Record in the 4×100 m relay and are forming an all-star team to do just that at next week’s Tennessee Relays!
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: Double Olympic judo champ Kayla Harrison and 1984 Olympian August Wolf penned an important Op-Ed in The Washington Post this week. The message: the sex abuse scandal is hardly limited to gymnastics.
(3) WRESTLING: The Freestyle World Cup is back in the U.S. and the American team is favored to win in Iowa City this weekend. All the details and the NBCSN/Olympic Channel television schedule.
(4) COMMONWEALTH GAMES: Two world records and a wardrobe malfunction to start off the 21st Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia!
(5) FOOTBALL: The U.S. women hammered Mexico in Jacksonville, Florida with three goals in three minutes in the second half for a 4-1 win.
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Athletics and Wrestling, plus SCOREBOARD reports on the Commonwealth Games ~ Biathlon ~ Cycling ~ Football and AGENDA, our calendar of top-level international events.Want to stay informed on the worldwide carousel of sports? There’s only one way to follow all 41 sports on the Olympic program: read The Sports Examiner! Join the fun today and get more than 150 issues a year delivered directly to your e-mail inbox: Click here to subscribe!