The U.S. team at the Opening Ceremony in PyeongChang (Photo: Jon Gaede)TSX HEADLINES – for August 1, 2018: The recent Esports Forum hosted by the International Olympic Committee has tongues wagging that it’s only a matter of time – a short time – before the gamers will be standing at the top of a podium receiving Olympic gold, silver and bronze medals.
Not so fast.
True, the IOC president and the head of the General Assembly of International Sports Federations (GAISF) were generous in their praise for the “passion” of the e-games, but there is a crucial difference between the sports on the Olympic program and the eSports universe.
It can be summarized in one word, but we have the full explanation in our Lane One commentary, plus previews of three World Championships getting under way this week:
(1) THE TICKER: The Calgary bid for the 2026 Olympic Winter Games may be on the verge of implosion! The City Council is considering dropping the whole thing because of a lack of provincial and federal support, and the public referendum on the bid has been set for 13 November.
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: The IAAF is tired of seeing most of the athletes in Diamond League races in the same (Nike) uniform and they’re going to do something about it? But what? We have an idea …
(3) FOOTBALL: The U.S. women’s national team and Australia are tied for the lead in the four-team Tournament of Nations with one game left on Thursday; a preview.
(4) SAILING: The World Sailing World Championships for the Olympic classes take place only once every four years; the 2018 edition is getting ready to start in Aarhus, Denmark. Check out the top contenders in our all-classes preview!
(5) SOFTBALL: The U.S. women are ranked no. 1 and seeded no. 1 in the World Softball Championships. But the event is being held in Japan, the no. 2-ranked nation and the U.S.’s biggest rival. We have the information on how to follow the games.
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Badminton (World Championships), Beach Volleyball, Canoe-Kayak, Football, Sailing (World Championships) and Softball (World Championships), SCOREBOARD reports on Canoe-Kayak ~ Diving ~ Hockey ~ Swimming, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!Want to stay informed on the worldwide carousel of sports? There’s only one way to follow all 41 sports on the Olympic program: read The Sports Examiner! Join the fun today and get more than 150 issues a year delivered directly to your e-mail inbox: Click here to subscribe!