TSX HEADLINES – for June 6, 2018: The headlines from Tuesday’s U.S. Senate sub-committee hearing are all about ex-USA Gymnastics chief Steve Penny invoking the Fifth Amendment and refusing to answer any questions at all.
That was not the critical outcome. In fact, the key testimony came before Penny even took his seat at the table. Instead, it was another U.S. Senator telling the panel the United States Olympic Committee’s charter should be changed to require it to distribute 50% of its income directly to athletes!
We have all the details in our Lane One commentary, plus reports on 16 international events in 11 sports coming up this week:
(1) THE TICKER: A new American Record in the women’s hammer, a new world leader in the men’s 100 m, plus a look ahead at the NCAA Track & Field Championships that starts Wednesday!
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: The Japan Olympic Committee aims for 30 gold medals at the Tokyo 2020 Games … but the country has never won more than 16!
(3) ATHLETICS: Famed Bislett Games in Oslo coming up on Thursday, with Norwegian fans looking ahead to the 400 m Hurdles with World Champion Karsten Warholm; a full preview!
(4) SHOOTING: ISSF World Cup for shotgun events in Malta (!), with Kim Rhode looking for another win in women’s Skeet!
(5) SWIMMING: Ryan Lochte returns to major U.S. competition this week at the Tyr Pro Swim Series in Santa Clara, along with Nathan Adrian, Caeleb Dressel, Katie Ledecky and many more …
This issue includes ON DECK previews of Athletics ~ Cycling ~ Diving ~ Football ~ Karate ~ Rugby ~ Shooting ~ Sport Climbing ~ Swimming ~ Table Tennis ~ Volleyball, and a SCOREBOARD report on Cycling, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!Want to stay informed on the worldwide carousel of sports? There’s only one way to follow all 41 sports on the Olympic program: read The Sports Examiner! Join the fun today and get more than 150 issues a year delivered directly to your e-mail inbox: Click here to subscribe!