TSX HEADLINES – for November 21, 2018: The Olympic Movement was shaken to its core by the revelations of Russian whistle-blowers who revealed the state-run doping program in force from 2011-15.
It caught the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee and the international federations off guard and not quite sure how to deal with the issues … and with Russia.
At first there was indecision, especially for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. Then a process for punishment and reinstatement was put in place by two of the international federations. Now, the International Biathlon Union has set down a determined, thorough protocol to combat doping in Russia … and elsewhere if the need arises.
What’s the plan? We have the details in our Lane One commentary, plus previews of a busy weekend of action in Olympic sport:
(1) THE TICKER: USA Gymnastics is still alive and wants its members to know it, plus USA Swimming hands out its annual awards at the Golden Goggles gala!
(2) THE BIG PICTURE: The IOC is getting serious about countries making it hard on athletes from controversial places like Kosovo, and sent a written warning about it … with a veiled threat!
(3) GYMNASTICS: The famed Turnier des Meister apparatus World Cup is in Cottbus, Germany this weekend, with 14 medalists from recent World Championships, including Jade Carey from the U.S.
(4) FOOTBALL I: Close, but no cigar for a very youthful U.S. men’s team, which fought Italy to a draw after 90 minutes … but lost, 1-0, after 94 …
(5) FOOTBALL II: Old foes U.S. and Mexico will play for the CONCACAF men’s U-20 Championship on Wednesday in Florida after the U.S. defeated Honduras and Mexico advanced on “good sportsmanship” vs. Panama?
This issue includes a ON DECK previews in Badminton ~ Fencing ~ Freestyle Skiing ~ Gymnastics ~ Table Tennis ~ Taekwondo; SCOREBOARD reports on Football, plus AGENDA, our exclusive calendar of upcoming international events!Want to stay informed on the worldwide carousel of sports? There’s only one way to follow all 41 sports on the Olympic program: read The Sports Examiner! Join the fun today and get more than 150 issues a year delivered directly to your e-mail inbox: Click here to subscribe!