TSX HEADLINES – for Mar. 30, 2018: While Great Britain, the U.S. and other European countries are throwing out Russian diplomats over the poisoning of a former Russian spy, the Russians are doing the same and … targeting wrestling for revenge.
The newest furor is whether a Russian team will come to the Freestyle World Cup to be held next week in Iowa City, Iowa. Iran has already bolted over a dispute with United World Wrestling, and now the Russians are back to the Cold War, accusing the U.S. of keeping them from competing.
The entire episode reminds us how wrong IOC president Avery Brundage was when he said that sport and politics don’t mix. Instead, it will be athletes who will be hurt.
We go into the details and consider what may be ahead in our Lane One commentary, plus:
- The Ticker: Six cities file letters of interest with the IOC for the 2026 Winter Games;
- The Big Picture: Australian sport in a tizzy over ball-tampering in cricket!
- Curling: How far the sport has come … World Championships start in Las Vegas!
- Cycling: Major road race – the Tour of Flanders – for men and women on Sunday!
- Judo: Two Americans are high seeds in the Tbilisi Grand Prix this weekend!
This issue includes ON DECK previews of events in Curling ~ Cycling ~ Judo ~ Rhythmic Gymnastics, plus SCOREBOARD reports on Cycling, and AGENDA, our calendar of top-level international events.